Saturday, April 19, 2008

Trinity Lutheran College: Graduates

Yesterday I had the distinct priviledge to photograph seven of my fellow seniors. As I was looking back through the images tonight, I earmarked my favorite images, and then I began to think about what makes these images stand out to me. I believe that in ways both big and small, the images that I picked tell a bit of each person's story (or at least their story as I've experienced it).

Angie: What a lovely, if not quiet, person. What I appreciate about Angie is her behind-the-scenes magic, the organizing, the food she brings to capstone, her thoughtful, unassuming ways. I love this image because she just shines. She is colorful but not over the top, which is Angie.


Britta: oh Britta. She will keep you in stitches, and an hour later, you can go to her for sincere, honest advice. She is what the world considers a tom-boy, but look at her...does she look like a boy to you? Didn't think so. I love her eyes, which I think embodies that thoughtful soul, the heart to reach out to kids in need.

Greg: He has his own sense of humor, and he's another one of the quiet ones. I don't say that as a bad thing; in reality, it makes me appreciate everything that Greg says that much more. I love this picture, because it captures a bit of who he is...every other picture of him was all smiles, but I asked him to try a serious one...this was as close to serious as he managed!


Maureen: I don't know Maureen as well as the others, but I do appreciate what she represents; so often on campus we have an attitude of apathy, we don't want to be there, we don't appreciate what we are allowed to participate in. People like Maureen who make the choice to actively seek education, to do so while working full-time, I just appreciate their sacrifice and dedication. I like this picture because it captures the warmth of Maureen's spirit.




Meghan: What a beautiful friend. Meghan has seen her share of unhappiness in life, and what blows me away about these images is that you'd never guess. I think we've all seen each other in some of our darker moments, and to see Meghan so strong and bright makes me happy. She has truly come into herself in the last few months, and it is great to see her in a happy place in life.

Wen: This amazing woman is an inspiration to me. Wen came here (I think) 4 years ago, with her daughter. She was unsure at first about whether she would be able to "hack it" at Trinity, because english is not her first language. Not only is she handling it just fine, she is graduating next month with a really high GPA (3.9 something, I believe...) Wen has opened herself up to the students at Trinity, shared her story and struggles, and we've been changed for the better because of her vulnerability. What I see in this image is her strength, her endurance, but also a bit of that vulnerability. Thank you, Wen.

No comments: